Here are a few of our favourite fun facts about dogs. The ones you didn’t know you needed to know ... but maybe do for the next pub quiz night.
1. Dogs can sniff at the same time as breathing. Their noses are designed so that the smell can stay in their snout but air can still pass to the lungs (PDSA, 2020).
2. The nose print of a dog is totally unique – just like our human fingerprints are (AKC, 2021).
3. The Greyhound is the speediest breed of dog, and they can keep the speed up for miles! To put this into perspective, a cheetah can run up to 70mph but not for longer than a minute whereas a Greyhound can run at 45mph for approx. 7 miles (PDSA, 2020).
4. Our canine chums are serious dreamers, puppies and the OAP of the dog world have the most dreams (AKC, 2021). We can definitely confirm this is true with our aging golden retriever – she has some wild adventures in her sleep!
5. The nose of a dog can also sense heat and thermal radiation. This is amazing as it clarifies why dogs who are blind or deaf can still hunt (AKC, 2021).
6. Dogs, just like humans prefer to use one paw over the other – they are either right or left pawed (PDSA, 2020)!
Our four legged furry friends really are quite special! We hope you enjoyed these fun facts as much as we did!
PDSA. (2020). 10 amazing facts about dogs. Retrieved from https://www.pdsa.org.uk/what-we-do/blog/10-amazing-facts-about-dogs
AKC. (2021). 30 Fun and Fascinating Dog Facts. Retrieved from https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/lifestyle/dog-facts/